I offer one-to-one personalised mentoring services to a small, select number of beginning freelance editors.
*** TAKE MY EDITING EVALUATION TEST TO ASSESS YOUR CURRENT PERFORMANCE ***
I charge by the hour for my time, but in later stages you will be subcontracting actual client work that I will QA. I will pay you for this, so you will be earning fees that will more than offset my charges.
This is not coursework. I only use real client texts, either ones I’ve edited previously or live jobs (except for initial assessment).
There are three stages to a coaching relationship. You advance between stages based on my evaluation of your performance.
- Assessment (typically a week or two)
- Offline coaching (a few months, depending on aptitude)
- Live mentoring (months or potentially ongoing)
In parallel with these stages, I will offer advice and information on a broad range of topics essential to making a profitable career from freelance copyediting. This includes:
- Working to a style guide
- Working for both US and UK clients
- Tools to manage quality (e.g. AI checkers, reference checkers)
- Tools to improve your productivity (e.g. macros, shortcuts)
- Assessing work (why, how)
- Getting onto publisher’s books (which ones, how)
- Choosing agencies to work for
- Client types and differences
- Qualifications and references
- Fee levels and quoting
Please contact me to see if I currently have a slot available: Chris@ExeterEditing.com
*P.S. There is a deliberate mistake on this page – can you find it?